The University of Waterloo is a public research institution that came into existence in the year 1957. In the early 1960s, Waterloo became one of the first universities in the world to give undergraduate students access to state-of-the-art computers. Waterloo offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees along with 190 graduate programs. In addition, the University has 6 faculties and 12 faculty-based schools to administer its academic programs. Located in the heart of Canada’s technology hub, the University offers a great platform for graduates to deepen their work-based learning. This university was also one of the first to introduce the ‘co-op’ or the co-operative program outside of engineering. Co-op programs combine classroom teaching with practical training methodologies.
Waterloo’s main campus is in Ontario, covering around 1000 acres of land. It also operates three satellite campuses in Canada and four affiliated university colleges including Conrad Grebel University College, Renison University College, St. Jerome’s University, and St. Paul’s University College.
Maclean magazine’s national survey of 2400 students placed Waterloo first in Canada for career preparation. Presently, it has 31,380 undergraduate and 5,290 graduate students amongst which 20% UG and 40% PG students are international. The University attracts students from 120 countries each year. The University actively promotes student diversity and gender equality in order to bring excellence and equity in education. With 48% of undergraduate and 44% of graduate female students, Waterloo supports equality for all students regardless of gender or sexuality.
More than 2,00,000 people have graduated from the University of Waterloo since its inception in 1957 and can be found across 152 countries in the world. Waterloo graduates have accumulated gained prominence in a number of fields and have also won several awards including the Nobel.
Admission to the University of Waterloo is available during the months of April-May and is regulated via a very strict entrance process. Where an acceptance rate of around 53% reflects moderate selectivity, the data shows that nearly 60% of students entering the institute had an average mark of 90 and above.
University of Waterloo Courses
- M.A Economics- $17,191
- M.ASc Chemical Engineering- $11,461
- M.Eng Civil Engineering- $20,909
- B.C.S- $35,945
- Bachelor in Statistics- $32,311
- B.ASc Mechanical Engineering- $48,427
- B.Sc Materials and Nanosciences- $33,733
- B.ASc Electrical Engineering- $48,427
- B.ASc Software Engineering- $48,427
- M.Math Statistics- $17,191
- Master of Taxation- $8,580
- Master of Architecture- $17,708
- Master of Management Sciences- $11,461
- M.ASc Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering- $11,461
- Master of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence- $36,332
University of Waterloo Campus
- The university’s main campus lies in the city of Waterloo, Ontario with a huge area of 404 hectares.
- The campus is surrounded at the borders by Waterloo Park, Wilfrid Laurier University, and Laurel Creek Conservation Area. With 3 numbered roads intersecting the main campus, it is easily accessible via public transport.
- The majority of the teaching facilities available at the institute are centered on a ring road which lies in its southern area. While most of the campus buildings are new, there are buildings that send nostalgic vibes and are as old as the 19th century.
- Other university campuses include
- School of Architecture
- Health Sciences Campus & School of Pharmacy
- Stratford School of Interaction Design & Business
- The institute also has its own ‘Earth Sciences Museum’ and the largest Centre for Quantum Research under its ‘Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre’.
- With more than 200 academic, charitable, social, political, sports, and cultural student clubs, and over 100 volunteer services, the university campus is a thriving site of learning and growth.
- Over a dozen restaurants, cafés, music venues, at a 20-minute distance from campus ensures there is never short of fun and recreational activities for students.
- On-campus meals comprising halal, kosher, vegan, vegetarian, and customized options are a must-try by every on-campus resident.
University of Waterloo Admission Process
The application process for admission in a few easy steps:
- Apply online by creating an OUAC account.
- Select a program of choice (for every program after 3 choices, an additional fee of 36 USD is charged).
- Submit the completed application along with an application fee of 117 USD and an International student fee of 8 USD.
- Keep updated with the inbox of personal email id for application status.
- Arthur F. Church Mechanical Engineering Scholarships – University of Waterloo Canada
- Study at the University of Regina
- Study at the University of Calgary
- Study at the University of British Columbia
- Study at the University of New Brunswick